Next time you are thinking of calling an electrician, make sure you kill multiple birds with one stone. Instead of calling your electrician multiples times, make a list with them while they are with you.
Here are the top ten things you should ask your electrician.
Do we need to start replacing and adding electrical outlet points
If your home is more than 40 years old, there’s a good chance you’re due for an electrical outlet upgrade. While older outlets are not necessarily unsafe, they are not as efficient as today’s standards. Not to mention, if your outlets are old and outdated, they can make your home look dated as well.
Upgrading your electrical outlets is a relatively easy and inexpensive project that can make a big difference in the look and feel of your home.
Are our Light fittings efficient and in good working order?
When it comes to improving your home’s lighting, there are a number of things you can do to make a big impact. Whether you’re looking to add some new fixtures or just want to change out your old ones, there are a few things you should keep in mind to get the most out of your upgrade.
If you’re looking for a more modern look, consider using LED bulbs. These are becoming increasingly popular due to their energy efficiency and long lifespan. You can also find a variety of different colors and sizes to suit your needs.
Are we experiencing any switchboard or circuit breaker faults?
Circuit breakers and switchboards are electrical devices that are used to protect homes and businesses from electrical fires. These devices are designed to trip or break the circuit when an overcurrent or fault is detected. This prevents the flow of electricity to continue, which could potentially cause a fire.
Circuit breakers and switchboards can be susceptible to faults due to a variety of reasons.
- Overloading: This occurs when the circuit breaker or switchboard is used beyond its capacity. This can happen if too many appliances are plugged into the same circuit, if an appliance draws too much power, or if there is a short circuit.
- Corrosion: This can happen if the circuit breaker or switchboard is exposed to moisture or humidity. This can cause the components to corrode and eventually fail.
- Age: Circuit breakers and switchboards can wear out over time. This is especially true if they are not properly maintained.
If a circuit breaker or switchboard fault is suspected, it is important to have it checked by a qualified electrician. They will be able to determine the cause of the fault and make the necessary repairs.
Are we heading towards hot water cylinder problems?
While they are generally reliable, hot water cylinders can develop a variety of issues. Here are some of the most common problems.
- Leaking: One of the most common issues with hot water cylinders is leaking. This can be caused by a number of things, such as a faulty valve, a crack in the cylinder, or incorrect installation.
- No hot water: If your hot water cylinder isn’t providing any hot water, there are a few potential causes. The most common is a problem with the heating element. This can be due to a blown fuse, a tripped circuit breaker, or a faulty thermostat.
- Not enough hot water: If you’re getting hot water, but not enough of it, the problem is likely due to a faulty thermostat. The thermostat controls the temperature of the water, so if it’s not working properly, the water won’t be as hot as it should be. Another possibility is that the heating element is not working properly.
You may also benefit by converting to a Rinnai Infinity gas hot water system instead of a traditional hot water cylinder.
How can we save money on power?
As a homeowner, you are always looking for ways to save money. Your power bill is one area where you can make some significant savings. Here are some tips on how to save money on your power bill:
- Use energy-efficient appliances: Energy-efficient appliances use less power and, as a result, will help you save money on your power bill.
- Educate your family about power saving: Teach your family members about the importance of saving power. The more they know about it, the more likely they are to cooperate.
- Adjust your thermostat: During the winter, set your thermostat to a lower temperature and during the summer, set it to a higher temperature.
- Unplug unused electronics: Electronics, even when they are turned off, can still use power. So, unplug them when they are not in use to save power and money.
- Line dry your clothes: Instead of using your dryer, line dry your clothes.
- Wash your clothes in cold water: Washing your clothes in cold water instead of hot water will save you money because it uses less power.
Should we consider solar energy?
Installing solar energy is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint and save money on your energy bill. Solar panels convert sunlight into electricity, which can be used to power your home or business. Solar energy is a clean, renewable resource that can help to reduce your environmental impact.
What heat pump would you recommend for our home?
A heat pump is a device that extracts heat from the air and transfers it into your home to heat it. Some heat pumps can also work in reverse, taking heat from your home and transferring it outside to cool your house on hot summer days. Heat pumps are a very efficient way to heat and cool your home, and can often save you money on your energy bills when used in place of a traditional fire or electric heater.
In the winter, a heat pump can save you up to 30% on your heating costs, and in the summer, it can save you up to 50% on your cooling costs.
How can we improve our security?
When it comes to home security, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. First, you need to decide what type of system you want. There are wired and wireless systems available, and each has its own set of pros and cons. Wireless systems are typically easier to install, but they can be more expensive. Wired systems are not as easy to install, but they are often less expensive.
Would we benefit from a home automation system?
A home automation system is a great way to make your home more comfortable, efficient, and secure. By automating tasks like turning lights off and on, locking doors, and adjusting the thermostat, you can save time and energy.
Some home automation systems allow you to control your home’s lights, thermostat, and security system from your smartphone. Others allow you to simply turn on and off your lights from your bed. Consider which features are most important to you and make sure the system you choose offers them.
What could landscape lighting look like on our property?
Most people don’t give their outdoor lighting much thought—until they trip over a dark step or stub their toe on an errant landscaping rock. Then they suddenly realize that a little light can go a long way toward making their home safer and more attractive. In addition to making your home safer and more attractive, well-placed outdoor lights can:
- Highlight your home’s best features
- Provide extra security
- Make your outdoor entertaining area more inviting
- Let you enjoy your yard after dark
- Help you find your way around in the dark
There could be many more, but this list represent many of the most common questions electricians get asked.